When a Judge issues an Order of  ‘Contempt’ or ‘Enforcement’

During legal proceedings, when a judge issues a court order, all parties involved will be held to that ruling. However, there are times where one or both parties involved do not follow the order issued by the court. When this happens, there are laws in place that provides the judge power to enforce a ruling. Two legal remedies available to the judge are “contempt” and “enforcement.”

What is to be in Contempt?

When someone is said to be in contempt of court it means that they are refusing to follow a legal court order or mandate. With divorce proceedings, this often happens when one spouse refuses to pay the court-ordered child support or spousal support. The judge determines the degree of contempt, but to make sure the order is followed, a judge can, and sometimes will, incarcerate someone until they pay the court-ordered amount.

If your ex-spouse is failing to pay you what the court deemed not only necessary but required, you must speak with the attorneys at Klein Law Group about holding you ex-spouse in contempt. Disobeying a court order is a major violation of the law and can lead to serious consequences. You need an experienced attorney will help ensure you get the support you need and deserve.

What is an Enforcement?

Enforcement is a law that allows a judge to place liens on property, garnish wages, enter monetary judgments, suspend a driver’s license, revoice a passport or even put a warrant out for the arrest of the spouse who is not complying with their court order.

Divorce Attorneys at Klein Law Group

If you are owed support of any kind, whether it is alimony, child support or legal fees, and need help enforcing those payments or holding an ex-spouse in contempt for not paying them, the attorneys at Klein Law Group will step in and take legal action on your behalf.


For more information about contempt or enforcement, contact Klein Law Group at 561-353-2800 to set up a free consultation today.

Request a Free Consultation

Learn More About Our Practice Areas