Changing Your Name
A person usually changes his or her name after marriage or divorce. But there are also other circumstances that will prompt an individual to have his or her name changed. Whatever your reason for wanting to change your name, you should contact a name change lawyer to help you through the legal process.
How to legally change your name
If you are ready to change your name, you will need to undergo a legal process. In Florida, the initial step is to complete a Petition for Change of Name. Then you will be required to give a full disclosure of personal information, submit to a background check and fingerprinting.
Reasons to hire a name change lawyer
Changing your name is a little complicated if it is not related to marriage or divorce. Whatever your reason for altering your name, you must go through the legal process. The following are just some of the benefits of hiring a name change lawyer:
- There is someone who will provide you with all the documents you have to submit to the court.
- The lawyer will also do the necessary background checking.
- Having a lawyer will give you more peace of mind knowing that the process is being handled properly. The name change process will run much more smoothly when handled by an experienced attorney.
Common questions about changing your name
If you are considering changing your name for some reason unrelated to marriage or divorce, here are some common questions you should ask when meeting with your lawyer:
- What information will I need to legally change my name in Florida?
- Are there any cases of name change unrelated to marriage of divorce that are denied by the court? What are the some of the reasons a judge would deny a change request?
- How long does the name change process usually take?
- What happens if the judge will not approve my request for a name change?
The lawyers at Klein Law Group can address these and any other questions you may have about changing your name. If you would like to begin the process of changing your name or discuss the process, call Klein Law Group at (561) 353-2800 to set up a free consultation.