Boca Raton Gray Divorce Lawyers
Providing Highly Skilled Service to Clients of All Ages
Divorce among couples over the age of 50 is growing. Gray divorce attorneys are seeing a steady rise in the number of divorces involving seniors – coined “gray divorces.” For the first time, researchers state that more Americans 50 years and older are divorced than widowed, and the numbers are growing as baby boomers live longer. At Klein Law Group, our Boca Raton divorce lawyers are committed to providing clients with everything they need during a gray divorce.
A number of factors contribute to this growing phenomenon:
- Increased number of remarriages – subsequent marriages are more likely to end than first marriages.
- Increased number of females in the labor force – women have more economic independence to explore life on their own.
- Increased life expectancy – the longer we live, it is less likely marriages will end in death, and many senior couples simply grow apart.
- Increased acceptance of “you only live once” – cultural shifts have led to the push of “make the best of the one life you have” instead of “toughing it out” in an unhappy marriage.
- Increased use of sexual performance medications – the physical and mental boost these medications provide cause more individuals to seek physical contact outside the marriage, which leads to infidelity.
Challenges Facing Older Couples
While older couples will go through exactly the same process as any other couple getting a divorce, the gray marital split presents unique challenges, including:
- Alimony – child support isn’t usually an issue, however, alimony often is. A court’s alimony determination factors in the length of marriage. When a divorcing couple has been in a long-term marriage – duration of 17 years or greater – it’s likely that one spouse will receive alimony from the other.
- Division of retirement benefits and tax implications – retirement accounts and social security benefits certainly represent some of the main concerns that need to be addressed and settled for spouses facing the end of their marriages in this over 50-and-over age group.
- Inheritance for the children – many parents want to be able to provide for their adult children or grandchildren with the assets they have earned over the years, but after assets are divided, it is often impossible to do so.
- Finding employment – landing a job can be very difficult in the current economy, especially for those over age 50. They find they cannot easily enter the workforce post-divorce due to age, health or the mere length of absence from the workforce.
It’s Never Too Late to Start Over
Klein Law Group has a reputation for helping clients start fresh, at any age. Our attorneys will guide you through the divorce process and help you make the best decisions for your future.
Legal Representation for Gray Divorce
We offer a free 30-minute consultation to discuss your individual case.
To speak to an experienced Boca Raton divorce attorney regarding gray divorce, call Klein Law Group at 561-353-2800 or fill out the form on the side of this page and one of our attorneys will contact you.