Questions to ask a Divorce Lawyer before you hire them?
On October 7, 2018 by Eric Klein
One of the most difficult tasks is the selection of the attorney who will represent you in a divorce. Before hiring an attorney you should first schedule a consultation. If possible, meet with the attorney in person. Here are some questions that you should ask the divorce attorney during your consultation:
- Attorney’s fees. How are the attorney’s fees and costs paid? Will my spouse be responsible for paying all or part of my attorney’s fees? How do you bill for your services?
- Process and procedure. What documents must be filed in a divorce case? What financial records and information must be exchanged with my spouse? Am I required to go to mediation? How does mediation work? What happens if my spouse and I cannot reach a settlement agreement?
- Am I entitled to receive alimony? How is alimony determined- how much, how long and how is it paid? How does alimony impact child support?
- What decisions need to be made for timesharing? What decisions need to be made for parental responsibility? What other decisions must be made regarding my children?
- Child support. How is child support calculated? Can child support be modified in the future? If so, how and why?
- Equitable Distribution. What happens to the assets that I had before the marriage? How are assets divided? How are liabilities divided?
At the Klein Law Group we offer a 30 minute consultation at no cost to you.