Frequently Asked Questions About Child Support

by | Sep 1, 2021

Child support isn’t easy to navigate. Clients often come to us because they missed some part of the process or just don’t understand all the legal choices they have to make. We’ve pulled a common list of Child Support questions from our FREE 30 Minute Consultations that should help you better understand your options.

How is child support determined?

State child support guidelines provide a formula for calculating child support. The formula considers the income of both parents, the number of overnights each parent has the children, health insurance costs paid on behalf of the children only, daycare expenses and the number of children the parties have. Often times the parties are not allowed to agree to a different amount because the formula is Florida law and the court will not approve child support below the guidelines.

Can a parent be required to pay child support after the child turns 18? 

Child support lasts until the child turns 18 and graduates from high school or 19 with a reasonable expectation of graduating high school. It can last longer in very limited circumstances where it can be proven the child is disabled; however, parents have no legal obligation once your child is 18 and graduates high school. 

Can the court order a parent to pay for college tuition and expenses for children? 

If a parent agrees in a divorce Marital Settlement Agreement to pay college expenses, a court can enforce the agreement if the parent refuses to pay. However, if the parent did not agree to pay college expenses, the court likely cannot order the parent to pay for college as there is no legal obligation to their children once the child is 18 and graduates high school. 

What penalties can be imposed on a parent who does not pay court-ordered child support? 

A parent who does not comply with a court order to pay child support can be held in contempt of court. The judge can fine the parent and even send the parent to jail. The judge can order that the child support be deducted from the parent’s wages. In addition, the parent’s property can be seized, his or her tax refund intercepted, and his or her driver’s license and professional licenses suspended. 

Trying to navigate through the issue of child support can be complex, frustrating, time consuming and costly. Klein Law Group has compassionate family law attorneys that are here to help you develop a plan.

Call us now at 1-561-353-2800 or contact us online for a free 30-minute consultation. We have over 25 years of experience and can assist you with your child support matter for the best possible outcome.

Explore Our Blog

Get a Free Consultation Today