Finding A Divorce Attorney? Use Our Checklist
On July 18, 2021 by Eric Klein
One of the most difficult tasks is the selection of the divorce attorney representing you. Before hiring an attorney you should first schedule a consultation. If possible, meet with the attorney in person. Here is a checklist to take with you to your consultation:
- Attorney’s fees.
- How are the divorce attorney’s fees and costs paid?
- Will my spouse be responsible for paying all or part of my attorney’s fees?
- How do you bill for your services?
- Process and procedure.
- What documents must be filed by my attorney in a divorce case?
- What financial records and information must be exchanged with my spouse?
- Am I required to go to mediation?
- How does mediation work?
- What happens if my spouse and I cannot reach a settlement agreement?
- Am I entitled to receive alimony?
- How is alimony determined; how much, how long and how is it paid?
- How does alimony impact child support?
- What decisions should be made for timesharing?
- What decisions should be made for parental responsibility?
- What other decisions must be made regarding my children?
- Child support.
- How is child support calculated?
- Can child support be modified in the future?
- If so, how and why?
- Equitable Distribution.
- What happens to the assets that I had before the marriage?
- How are assets divided?
- How are liabilities divided?
Don’t forget to bring this with you to your consultation. At Klein Law Group in Boca Raton, our team of family law attorneys is committed to helping clients navigate the dissolution of marriage process. Get started on your family law case today and reach out to our law firm at 561-353-2800 to request a free initial case evaluation.